Sunday, July 03, 2005

Happy Independence Day!

With Independence day coming upon us one begins to wonder:
"How much sacrifice did my fore-fathers make to preserve the freedom we enjoy today?"
"The founding fathers were really great men weren't they?"
"Do I really realize the cost of the freedoms enjoyed today?"
"What would happen if I soaked a tennis ball in gasoline before I launched it out of my tennis ball mortar?"

Yes this time is also a time of fireworks and picnics; well that is if you can call the things we use up here fireworks since the law states that it cannot go more than ten feet into the air. I can see it now a room full of Tennesseens laughing at our pitiful excuse for fireworks and the fact that Bar-B-Que is a verb up here and not a noun like it is way down south in Dixie. But Independence Day is Independence Day and that is nothing to be laughed at.
So Happy Independence Day everybody light some fireworks for me and may God bless America.

4 comments:

tess said...

Thanks, God Bless!

Eucharisto said...

On our way up to MasterWorks, we listened to David McCollough's (I think that's spelled correctly)
'1776'. It's a really good book, brings back patriotic feelings within me.

funke said...

Hmm..I have mixed feelings regarding Independence Day. On the one hand, I am extremely grateful that men died to give us a country with freedoms that many other parts of the world do not enjoy. I love living here. On the other hand, I don't like the 4th of July sermons that claim America to be God's special nation, a second Israel. The church is the new Israel, not America. The church is not geographically bounded, but dispersed throughout every tribe, nation, and tongue...hmm. I have mixed feelings regarding Independence Day.

Queen Mum said...

We watched fireworks by the Ohio River this year and had a great time. Cincinati was beautiful all lit up. Yes, it is true, freedom is not free. I am so belssed to live in America.




4:42 P.M. is a very happy minute.