Saturday, October 22, 2005

Mmhmm...


I now own Relient K's latest album Mmhmm. It is very good, although it is not quite on par with Nothing is Sound but then again the two bands have different things they're trying to communicate. For instance, K is singing about breaking up their girlfriend while Switchfoot is singing The Blues. But enough compare and contrast this is Relient K's spotlight. The lyrics of Mmhmm are witty and heartfelt ditties about, trite as this might sound, tripping, falling and getting back up again all the while losing their girlfriends in the process. That was an oversimplification but you get the idea, to put it into other words Relient K focuses on the physical side of life while Switchfoot takes care of the metaphysical. You dear reader will have to forgive me for my comparing the two bands but in my mind I cannot talk about one without the other. But back to the album; Mmhmm's music takes sort of a pop-punk standpoint on the world backing the lyrics with catchy riffs and hooks along with a few surprises on the way, like the banjo in Which to Bury, Us or The Hatchet. All in all the album is quite good just and my only complaint is that sometimes the music seems to have ADD and they just jump in to quickly but that is only a small quibble. Stand-out tracks: Be My Escape, I So Hate Consequences, More Than Useless, Which to Bury, Us or The Hatchet, Who I Am Hates Who I've Been.

4 comments:

Meiska said...

Not to big on Relient K myself, my dear siblings do, but I prefer Switchfoot. Maybe the siblings have ADD too?!

Why said...

No Queen, I think the siblings have just heard "Dare You to Move" and "Gone" too many times on the raido to like Switchfoot.

Meiska said...

Perhaps!

Queen Mum said...

When I think of Relient K, I start getting nervous.....their music makes me want to clean house at 80 miles an hour while jumping up and down. Trust me, it's not pretty and I am just too old for that. I like the song they do that Sparklepuff goes around singing. I think it's "getting into you".




4:42 P.M. is a very happy minute.